Forum Home Forum Home > Legacy Products > SalesCart Standard / PRO / SQL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBack & Forward Browsing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimgub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back & Forward Browsing
    Posted: March/30/05 at 12:13pm
Hi.. should we allow customers to Hit their browser's forward and/or back buttons once they "checkout" (and are in shipping, payment, confirm, or reciept pages).. for example a customer starts the checkout process and then wants to add another item... and starts hitting back broswer... I noticed that the checkout pages don't really have any links (eg. Continue Shopping) like the View Cart page... is this by design...

we are continuing to experience problems where we receive zeroed out order confirmation emails, and wonder if it could be realted to above...

thanks
Jim
jimgub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimgub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/05 at 5:16pm
anybody else experiencing issues with zero order totals (confirmation emails contain zero'ed out totals and no items)...?

anybody from ComCity care to respond to this? thx...

Jim
Techno Geek View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evil monkey living in my closet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techno Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/05 at 8:24am
Yes, the back and forward through the history might actually break the order session and kill the grand total.

At the moment we're considering all of the possibilities but we do not have a resolution to the issue.
Techno Geek
Customer Support Engineer
ComCity and SalesCart Technical Support
mikeb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/05 at 4:23pm
The Internet is a discontinuous environment. In ASP, it is difficult to determine if someone that hits the back button has left permently, changed their mind, is modifying their order, their computer crashed, their browser crashed, and any number of a hundred other things. Once the customer is in the checkout phase, you do not want them to continue shopping or do anything but finish the order. You should not have other links or anything that encourages them to leave the process.

For example, if they are on the confirm page and hit the confirmation button and you using a 3rd party processor like AuthorizeNet or Payflow, there is a considerable lag to communicate, authenticate and redirect. Could be a good 10 seconds if your server connection is slow or crowded and your customers connection is slow. If the customer hits the back button and then submits the transaction multiple times, you will have multiple submits. Some of these issues get better in ASP.NET but in reality, no situation and in no Internet-based shopping cart can you prevent this sort of stuff because of the discontinuous nature of the Internet.

In the latest version of SalesCart (PRO 5.10, SQL 5.1, and NET 6.1), we have instituted some changes to help prevent these sorts of activities. No way do we claim they are 100%. However, we do believe that in a vast majority of cases, the number of incidents can be reduced with the latest releases.
jimgub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimgub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/05 at 1:21pm
Mike, Will,
thx for your responses...

it seems odd that only one of my customers is experiencing the problem, but having said that, when we receive the blank order confirmations wouldn't it be true that the customer at some point sees that they have an empty shopping cart, (or that the session has expired).. I find it hard to believe they'd go ahead and confirm the order with an empty cart...

how do I get the upgraded PRO version 5.1?

thx
Jim
Techno Geek View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evil monkey living in my closet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techno Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/05 at 1:27pm
Do the empty email actually contain the order ID? You can go directly to receipt2.asp and it will generate an empty email. The same can happen if a customer places an order, and then refresh the receipt2.asp page afterwards.
Techno Geek
Customer Support Engineer
ComCity and SalesCart Technical Support
jimgub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimgub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/05 at 12:26pm
Will,

in some cases we get a confirmation email with all the order details, including Order Id, but the totals are zero, as well as the tax and shipping totals... and given no (sub)totals, we can't look at the order record directy thru the online management tool..

in other cases we get confirmation emails with absolutely everything zero'ed out, including Order ID...

baffling...

thx
Jim
mikeb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/05 at 1:03pm
We don't believe this will happen with the current released version of the software (5.1). In addition, the process by which you make this happens, means that these are not "real", legit orders. The person has removed all the items from the cart after the checkout was started.

Edited by mike
ericclimbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericclimbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/05 at 5:27pm
I've had the same problem where customers have replied to their confirmation email asking where there order is. Problem is I never got it over Sales Cart. As has been aforementioned, the receipt has the order items and details but zeroes in the totals.    As a quick fix I've decided to have a copy of all receipts emailed to me to make sure I don't miss an (attempted) order. (I'm having a big problem with that though -- see my other "new topic" post from today).

The problem happens infrequently but, still, even once is bad enough.
mikeb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/05 at 5:38pm
This is a customer error. Upgrade to the latest version 5.1 and it will not happen anymore.
JTumbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTumbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/05 at 9:21am
When I install Salescart 5.1, what files are updated? I have been continuously having the same problems as mentioned above and I am running SalesCart 5.0.4. I downloaded the latest extension for Dreamweaver and installed it, but it still says that I am running version 5.0.4 from the main menu of the salescart extension? Is there anything else I need to do? And what files are updated??
mikeb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/05 at 9:30am
You need to create a new SalesCart web with the new software and then replace your old cgi-bin with all the new files. Quite a few files changed.

Mostly, in our expierence this issue mainly surfaces in confusing web site design where the web designer has built the merchants site and spawned a bunch of new windows. Dont know your URL, but if you are experiencing this issue, you may want to look at that as well.
JTumbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTumbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/05 at 9:46am
Thanks Mike for the reply. I was afraid that you would say that there were many files that were updated.    I have EXTENSIVE customization on my salescart pages including using a product database that I designed which, among other things, allows me to add multiple products to the cart at one time for package deals. Is there a comprehensive list that you can send me of the updated files so that I can have a little guidance as i try to move my mods over to 5.1?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I have been having this error for months now with the $0.00 grandtotal. I have spoken to as many of my customers that I can get in touch with to ask them about their checkout experience and 99.9% of them start the checkout process and complete it without deviating to any other webpage. Their credit card doesn't get charged, but they receive the order confirmation page and email, which shows the items they ordered, but no grandtotal. I'm hoping that 5.1 will solve some of these issues so i guess I'll have to take the time to move my mods over. Again, any list of files or direction you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
mikeb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/05 at 10:02am
First: The ONLY way to get this error is to start the checkout process in one browser and then go to another browser or the same browser and CHANGE the order. There is no other way. The changes only give you an error now when you try to do that. So now your customer is going to get an error that prevents them from doing it.

Take note of that, because in the end, the same customers are going to call you and say, whenever I try and checkout, I get an error page that says, "you changed the order after starting the checkout and you must start the checkout over again". You cannot keep someone from doing something stupid....you can only let them.

Here, see if this will help.
*********************** V E R   5.10 ***********************
-     wc    &nb sp;12/15/03     Changed shop1.asp to handle case sensitivity in if/then clause for postpone shopping
-     wc    &nb sp;4/9/04     Changed csimple.asp to handle security issue with displaying username/password on error condition
-     mtb    &n bsp;8/5/04     Changed salescartproductlink.js so that object could not be used in code view.
-     mtb    &n bsp;10/21/04     Changed checkluhn.inc to handle paypal case with no card number.
-     mtb    &n bsp;2/9/05     Changed command, SalesCartX Product Link.js to handle reverse logic on Discounted=yes.
-     mtb    &n bsp;4/1/05     Made Hiding the Credit card Number standard.
-     mtb    &n bsp;4/1/05     Changed shop1.asp, view1.asp, receipt1.asp, confirm2.asp to handle CheckoutSubtotal State. Avoids shopping cart manipulation after the checkout starts.

Edited by mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic