Forum Home Forum Home > Legacy Products > SalesCart Standard / PRO / SQL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedProgram doesn’t work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Program doesn’t work
    Posted: January/15/05 at 12:57pm
Wanted to see if anyone can help me. I purchased this program a couple of years ago and have yet to get a website working. I paid for technical support twice (at $180 each time. The site works for a while and then stops working. All the sites I've built have the same problem. The page won't display after you click on an add to cart button. I tried copying a working site to another location in order to change things without messing up the original and went back to the original and it didn't work. I've had several people look at it and no one can figure out how it works. Any help would be appreciated or even suggestions for another ecommerce program that will work.
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/05 at 2:39am
Cindy,
I have had a real quick look at your site. Your product pages are .html not .asp. This means that the add to cart feature will not work- got to save the page as an Active Server Page (asp). Also have you made sure that all your product pages are saved in the mall directory?- this is important. (saving as an asp is easy in fpage- when you go to save page there is a drop down box at the bottom which you can select asp page from).

Have you changed the structure of the salescart generated site? Normally I make standard Fpage html pages for the front end of the site and then link into lobby.asp for the shopping.

Salescart does take a bit of getting used to but once you have got into the swing you will find it very easy to use- I don't have any experience in coding but I managed to get the hang of it- keep fiddling around and you will get there.

Try re-saving the product pages as ASP in the mall directory and see how you get on- you might want to check that your server has the correct permissions setup- Will Sani can tell you what you need on this one.

Good Luck
Techno Geek View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evil monkey living in my closet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techno Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/05 at 9:38am
Quote The page won't display after you click on an add to cart button. I tried copying a working site to another location in order to change things without messing up the original and went back to the original and it didn't work.

One other thing. You never want to add forward and frailing spaces to your files name. You should also consider removing any characters such as commas from your file name. It will not make a difference where you move your site to, as long as your pages are named the way they are the cart will not work. So it's actually not server dependant...

Usually when you develop a site you'll want to keep it simple. Don't make the file names difficult to guess (for obvious reasons) or add any characters to them. You also will want to make sure that your pages are saved as ASP and not HTML. You're not creating a static site so there is no need to use HTML.
Techno Geek
Customer Support Engineer
ComCity and SalesCart Technical Support
Cindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/05 at 11:56am
Andy & Will,
Thanks for all the advice. I'll work on my site and get back to you. One other problem I'm having is in trying to upload the site using Frontpage. It says I can't upload executable files into the cgi-bin file or something like this. I'm just trying to upload the entire site. I've asked my hosting company to look at it and they can't figure out what I'm trying to do. Any advice on this one?

Thanks,
Cindy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techno Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/05 at 12:11pm
You can have your host take a look at the following link to fix the publish issue for you:

http://support.salescart.com/kb/KB-details.asp?key=5353

Edited by Will Sani
Techno Geek
Cindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/05 at 10:18pm
I have been working on the site www.madfrost.com. I've changed the names of three files such as www.madfrost.com/mall/beadbangles.asp and saved these as asp files. I've resolved the publishing issue with my hosting company. I moved the product files into the mall directory and the lobby2 page into the mall directory. When I go to the page www.madfrost.com/mall/beadbangles.asp the add to cart site doesn't work. I still get the same error message that the page can't be found. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Cindy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techno Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/05 at 8:26am
Here is the error that I'm getting when I do add to cart:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x3d0 Thread 0xb9c DBC 0x2eb795c Jet'.

/cgi-bin/GetOrder.asp, line 30

This means the database connection is not established or the permissions are not setup correctly.
Techno Geek
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/05 at 8:43am
Hi Cindy,

Hmmm, not sure what is going on with the www.madfrost.com site?!

OK. Frontpage server extensions are not strictly speaking required- if you look at one of my sites www.signsupports.co.uk this site is on a non Fpage server.

What I would do if I were you is to create a new salescart website in Fpage- leaving the structure as is. Then open your old site and save the pages as ASP into the mall section of the new site (you will have to drag and drop the images from old site to new).

It is easiest to use the salescart layout to start with and change it as you get to know your way around.

The lobby page link should ideally go to the lobby.asp page not lobby2- i find this easier. I wouldn't bother with the site search feature like you have used on madfrost.com- sometimes setting the search up is aggro and you don't have too many products so I would use menus.

Page names- if you want to use the long names you have been use underscores between the words;

like_this_example.asp not like this example.asp this will get rid of the % and other statements between words.

Keep going with it Cindy- you aren't too far away from getting there :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic