Forum Home Forum Home > Legacy Products > SalesCart Standard / PRO / SQL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStructure (schema?) of SalesCart install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim@shore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Structure (schema?) of SalesCart install
    Posted: February/03/06 at 6:44pm
Can someone please explain a bit about the directory structure of the SalesCart install locally? and remotely?

For Example, there is a CGI dir at the inetpub/wwwroot level and then also under the "storename" dir. I assume this is because the previous belongs to SalesCart while the other is for upload for the site.

However, a curious question... if I left the dir structure intact (as originally installed by salescart without modifying an existing site (a clean install)) when I up to the server it is not at root level but under the "storename" directory. This of course doesn't work at the server level and the default/homepage isn't found.

So, where do I go from here? I'm afraid if I start creating my custom pages at root level then I'm going to have to check the code on everything - it's not as if files are going to be found under relative paths if I move default files "up" a directory level.

Help! I've got a site to get up and I can't get up!

Kim
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/06 at 4:35am
Kim,

Mall- this directory is where all your product pages have to be placed- they must all be saved in .asp.

CGI-BIN- this is where all the cart, shipping and confirm pages are stored- you can edit these pages to change the look of your site;

view1.asp (cart page) details1.asp (the page where buyers enter their details) shipping2.asp (this is the page where a shipping choice is selected) confirm2.asp (page where the order details are shown before purchase).

The file structure needs to be kept as created by salescart- you need a server space that will let you place this structure in the www.root.

If you are PUBLISHING from Frontpage the structure should be automatically created. If you FILE UP LOAD by hand it's best to do a folder at a time.

If you are adding salescart to an existing site remember to tick "add to current site" in the frontpage dialogue screen.

With the MALL and CGI-BIN structure you have a seperated cart system which you can dip in and out of with links to and from your html pages- it's a pretty neat way of doing things and allows you to easily add ecommerce to existing sites- just make sure every product page is in the MALL folder and saved in .asp format.

As far as paths go PUBLISHING from frontpage should automatically create the correct paths. FTP will be OK too as long as you keep the folder structure intact.

The only time you might have to manually change paths is if your server won't let you store an Access DB in the root level- if this is the case all you have to change is the database connection string which is near the top of the global.asa file.

I run salescart on frontpage extended and non extended servers with no problems.

If you still have problems let us know.

Cheers
Andy
Kim@shore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim@shore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/06 at 2:07pm
Thanks, Andy. Your post has been a great help and very, very informative. I can't thank you enough for addressing my questions and some I hadn't thought to ask!

Most importantly, you answered my question regarding whether the salescart file structure must be kept as installed - and saved me quite a bit of time doing so. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I encounter only a minimum of snags as I try to get this up and running...

Thanks again,
Kim
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/06 at 9:52am
No worried Kim :)

I forgot to mention- salescart.asa in the CGI BIN folder- this needs to be set the same as the global.asa file in the root web.

I find that this being different to the global.asa file causes all kinds of issues.

On the salescart.asa page you will find mirror instructions as to shipping type database connection and all the discount and tax settings etc.

Make sure the values match global.asa as if they are out of synch this causes headaches.

Cheers
Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic