Forum Home Forum Home > Legacy Products > SalesCart Standard / PRO / SQL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGlobal.asa? 2 Subwebs?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Global.asa? 2 Subwebs?!
    Posted: October/10/05 at 2:12pm
As I see I have to place a copy of global.asa from subweb in the root of the localhost in order for cart to work. The problem is that I have 2 subdomains using sales cart as well.
As I understand all of the orders are going to be processed to the shop.mdb pointed by the path setting in the global.asa.
Therefore I will not be able to have separate shopping carts for different subwebs. Is this correct or I’m missing something?

Thank you.
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/05 at 6:16pm
Hmmm,

Why subwebs? is this vital to what you need to be doing?

Using subwebs is going to create all sorts of issues for you.

As I understand it- and I'm by no means an expert on this- subwebs are distinct seperate sections on the server with there own home page and file structure- you want to connect to the main site so you can read- write to the shop1 database- I think the nature of subwebs is going to make this very hard- if not impossible.

You can run different themed sections in you must- rather than subwebs.

All you would have to do is have lobby1, lobby2, lobby3. So, your lobby3 page would be linked to your view lobby buttons in that section- that is to say you have a different main product list for each section you are building- the graphics can be different but all sections can easily connect to your database.

Have you thought anymore about using product databases- with 4000 products you should seriously consider this as an option.

Once you get your head round it connecting up the database to salescart in frontpage is very simple- you basicall but in a statement that contains the column name in your database.

If you are running subwebs- in effect multiple shops- you might have an issue with overloading the connections made to the shop database.

I run several salescart based sites but these are hosted individually as it makes things a lot easier to manage- the checkout pages are all the same look so users don't really notice a difference.

If I were you I'd try and make things as easy as you can for yourself- this way you stand a better chance of building up your understanding of salescart.
jason2004 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/05 at 7:04pm
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it. This is something that I inherited. They have 3 domain names with same host account – with 3 separate sales carts. I see that this is going to be huge problem. Eventually I’m going to separate them.

After lots of problems I was able to have Sales Cart Test running. I had a problem installing IIS, configuration, folders permissions etc, but it’s done. Whatever happens now it is up to the Sales Cart system.

I’m afraid that this system might have problems with firewalls such as Zone Alarm. Will see. I’m not satisfied with the design. It is very outdated, but right now I have to make it works first.

Yes, definitely the solution would be if I can transfer all of these products in to the database. I’m guessing that there must be some easy way of importing this data into Access. All of these pages have sales cart products links.

Hopefully someone will have an idea how to pull out this info and import in to database.

Thank you.

Edited by jason2004
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/05 at 8:00am
Jason,

No problem mate- glad to hear you've made a bit of progress.

This might sound a stupid question but do you know for sure that this setup of subwebs on the same host ever worked properly?

I have a multi hosting platform but I can't run two salescart webs as they will both try and use the same access database connection- have you made sure you have three different connection names?

I would make three branded up areas in one mall folder- change the go to lobby button in areas 2 & 3 to point to a lobby page2 and lobby3.

Do the subwebs with a think called go shopping and hop into the centralised mall area- all your pages should work properly if you move all the includes and images over too.

Would be a fairly quick solution to get the site working at least- the you have time to rebuild it properly later on
DDMD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/05 at 6:25am
hi jason & andy -
have a customer who needed a similar set up, but with the ability to shop at all 3 stores and then go to checkout. its not an ideal situation but using a general landing page to showcase the stores, a lobbyfor each and the stores inside the mall works. beicustomclipons.com is their site if you need an example.
inheriting sites is such fun! good luck! - d
mikeb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/05 at 8:36pm
Running 3 subwebs all with different global.asa files is not a biggy if you have a good ISP. You need to have all subwebs with their own "Application Root". This is a setting in IIS, that establishes that the particular subweb for all intensive purposes is a <root> when it comes to applications. In IIS it is marked by a special Open Jack in the box icon.

As long as you ISP has this set that way, then each salescart shopping cart will be complete autonomous to the other ones.
JasonJolliff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonJolliff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/05 at 2:54pm
Will those subwebs also have a secure checkout if the main site has the cert?
JasonJolliff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonJolliff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/05 at 12:30am
Just an update for anyone who is interested...I have created a subweb and everything works great and still uses the secure Thawte certificate from the main site. It's great! And pretty easy. The ISP just has to set the permissions (which they're getting good at).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic