Forum Home Forum Home > Legacy Products > SalesCart NET
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDNS problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: DNS problem
    Posted: October/04/06 at 11:33pm
I had the salescart working Monday night 9-30-06 even went through the order process, I have the product addon so the page default.aspx was working and now I have invalid DNS and it was not changed it works fine on MS SQL Server 2000 but can't connect via salescart, by Tuesday 10-1 it quit, over night. Any ideas, I checked my Connection/Products1.aspx, has right information also on administer.aspx, as soon as I try to add an new product, same error and night before I was able to add products no problem. Here is error message:
Could not open data connection. Error:
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
The Invalid ConnectionString is defined as: DSN=717629_salescart;
mikeb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/06 at 4:43pm
Its DSN, not DNS. If its invalid...its invalid. Something probably happened on your ISP if you are saying you did absolutely, positively nothing. And a "local" DNS that works on your local computer to talk with a remote MS SQL server has absolutely nothing to do with the DNS on the "server"....two entirely differnet things.
deltacomics View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/06 at 4:59pm
It has come up for a few minutes every few days, don't know what the problem could be. My MS SQL Server 2000 connects everytime no problem using the same DSN, I can even connect setting up the ODBC on the Salescart setup, so don't know what could be wrong, I have another Salescart running on the same hosting server and never had a problem. It can't be the ISP because I have people in China trying to upload products and someone in Pennsylvania having the same problem, the salescart is getting connected for a few minutes and then looses it for days. It is strange because the we are hosted on the same Windows server as the other Salescart site. But the connection string is right. Check out has yet to connect.
mikeb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/06 at 5:08pm
SalesCart has nothing special to do with the connection string or the ability to read/write to the database. It simply reads the connection string out of the file....it either works or it doesn't work.

If it doesn't work, its not a problem in SalesCart, its a problem with the connection string, database, database permissions, etc. 90% of all SalesCart issues are the issue your having....bad database connection or database permissions are bad...thats why many folks host with ComCity and avoid these issues. The only other way to avoid it is a shopping cart service, where this "task" is taken away from you.

Once again-->You CANT use the same DSN. The DSN is on the server...you have no access to it accept via a connection string. The DSN on your local computer may have the same name...but they are completely different.

If the connection is on again off again...you have an issue with your ISP simple as that....just if you website worked some of the time and other times it did not. And an entirely different website with a different database is also not relevent.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic