Forum Home Forum Home > Legacy Products > SalesCart Standard / PRO / SQL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedshipping plug in ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shipping plug in ?
    Posted: February/20/06 at 9:26am
Is there any way to get the shopping cart to not add up the weights of my products when it gets the cost of the fedex shipping rates? But instead get the shipping cost for each package? I'm using Salescart 3.0 with shipping plug in.

lw

Edited by Lonewolf
drafting View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drafting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/06 at 10:42am
I have the same problem. I have not found a way to do this. All I did was increase my shipping amounts enough to hopefully cover extra boxes. I have enough extra built in to the shipping to cover those times when I don't charge enough.
Lonewolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/06 at 11:00am
I found this line of code in the View1.asp file

'Calculate the individual totals for a row
subweight = subweight + (RS("Quantity") * RS("Weight"))

Is this the line of code that adds the weight of all the products?

lw
mikeb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/06 at 9:02am
Yes, that line adds up all the weights and creates a subweight.

Not gonna work though. What your talking about it taking multiple trips to the shipper for each package. First, its going to take forever even for just 5 items....like 15-20seconds forever just to get the shipping numbers. Secondly, its not really how most folks ship. Most companies are putting as many things into one box as they can.....for economical reasons.

Why are you trying to do this? Perhaps that would help us understand what your trying to do.
Lonewolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/06 at 8:11am
Hi Mike,

I work with drop ship manufactures and wholesalers. The one main manufacture makes cat furniture and the boxes weight up to 65lb. Some of their stuff comes in 2-3 boxes. Each weighing 65lb each. So the order will be shipped in 2-3 boxes with shipping cost being added to each box.

Also if the order for 2-3 things add up to over 150lb then the shipping plug in will not get a shipping rate because of the weight is over the 150lb weight for ground shipping. But my supplier is shipping all the order in different boxes because of the weight limit of 65lb for FedX ground.

LW   

Originally posted by mike mike wrote:

Yes, that line adds up all the weights and creates a subweight.

Not gonna work though. What your talking about it taking multiple trips to the shipper for each package. First, its going to take forever even for just 5 items....like 15-20seconds forever just to get the shipping numbers. Secondly, its not really how most folks ship. Most companies are putting as many things into one box as they can.....for economical reasons.

Why are you trying to do this? Perhaps that would help us understand what your trying to do.

Edited by Lonewolf
Lonewolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/06 at 4:07pm
It looks like I will have to find a way to do this buy learning how to code VB script and ASP pages. I ordered 2 books on coding ASP and VB script. I also found I had tools in frontpage that will let be code vb script. Time will tell. Untill then I will have to keep to selling the smaller stuff.

LW
wscharen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wscharen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/06 at 2:16pm
Lonewolf,

You are not alone on this topic! My company also ships each item order dividually via UPS. Problem is that I have purchased the UPS plug-in and there is no way to get it back out of the code without starting over (this is what I have been told). I don't want to start all over and rebuild the site but I don't know of another way. I can tell you that my shopping cart doesn't function the way it is supposed to and never has.

signed...

without hope for a functioning site
mikeb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/06 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by wscharen wscharen wrote:

Lonewolf,

Problem is that I have purchased the UPS plug-in and there is no way to get it back out of the code without starting over (this is what I have been told).

You don't have to start completely over. Just one page. If you replace the shipping2.asp/aspx with a brand new version from a brand new salescart web,viola, real-time shipping is removed. It takes about 5 seconds to do that.

Modifying the code so that you get a shipping cost per item "separately" and then adding them up is not a difficult programming problem. However, this is the real problem. Each trip to FedEx, UPS, or USPS physically takes anywhere from 2-7 seconds on average. It takes real time, to bottle up a trans, XML it to UPS, have UPS unbundle it, approve it, rate it, and respond. I'm sure even with one trip, you can see that on some occassions getting the shipping rate may happen nearly instantly and other times take what seems like a good 10 seconds. Now multiple that time by 10 products to 10 different locations and you have a major time problem. So your talking about a technical limitation of time with pulling shipping rates the way you describe. The only feasible way I can imagine this could work reasonably is after the customer querys the shipping engine is for the computer checkout to tell them to go take a coffee break and come back and hopefully by then, we should know what the shipping is going to cost.

Edited by mike
drafting View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drafting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/06 at 2:41pm
Lonewolf,

I have the same problem with items on my site. What I did was open the database file for UPS Ground delivery and modify it. I added a little extra shipping to each pound so I can cover the times with shipping might not be enough. I also went in and just added new shipping costs and new weights so I can have shipments over 150lbs.
mikeb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/06 at 2:43pm
If you look at shipping2.asp, the call to the shipping plugin is a simple include. If you programmatically modify the subweight before each call to that routine, and call it once for each item, you will get what you want 'cept you will need to go back through the array and add up all of the shipping to be one big gigantic shipping cost.

The cost of shipping 5 items, each with a weight of 2lbs from 5 different locations is going to be so expensive compared to a total weight of 10 lbs from one location. Its hard to believe that a customer would pay the kind of shipping cost your going to come up with like this ???
mikeb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/06 at 2:50pm
Some of this stuff is going to be more possible in .NET than was impossible in generic ASP. Spawning a process off for example so that the shipping is being computer the entire time your checking off and the like.

Now that Microsoft has introduced ASP.NET 2.0 and the language is a full release with wider acceptance, the doors are open to solving these technical problems more so then they were in the past.
wscharen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wscharen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/06 at 3:19pm
I tried what you said below but it didn't work. If anything it made things worse. Now I am getting blank orders. Thanks for trying.   

You don't have to start completely over. Just one page. If you replace the shipping2.asp/aspx with a brand new version from a brand new salescart web,viola, real-time shipping is removed. It takes about 5 seconds to do that.

mikeb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/06 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by wscharen wscharen wrote:

I tried what you said below but it didn't work. If anything it made things worse. Now I am getting blank orders. Thanks for trying.   

Really thats impossible unless you have somehow customized shipping2.asp or some other aspect of the checkout page way beyond the way its shipped. The only difference between shipping2.asp without the shipping plugin and with the shipping plugin are these lines (which actually call the different modules for each shipper):

<!-- #include file="shipping/uspsshippinginfo.asp" -->
<!-- #include file="shipping/DHLreal.asp" -->
<!-- #include file="shipping/upsinstant.asp" -->
<!-- #include file="shipping/FedXinstant.asp" -->

Besides the includes at the top to call in initializations for this code.
<!--#include file="shipping/usps/cusps.asp" -->
<!-- #include file="shipping/Common.asp" -->
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic