Forum Home Forum Home > Legacy Products > SalesCart Standard / PRO / SQL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI don’t know where to start. HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I don’t know where to start. HELP!
    Posted: September/29/05 at 10:51pm
Thank you in advance for any help. I am new to salescart, and databases. My client is having Sales Cart Pro ver 3.0 and he wants to stay with it. My problem is that I don’t know where to start.

These are basic questions that I have:

1) I’m used to publish disk based web sites and not server based. We are having Front Page 2002.
IIS is something new to me. Are there any site files located on the disc or everything is on the server? If everything is on the server how can I do a backup of the site?
Sales cart just makes things more complicated. Is it possible to run this cart on disc based sites or it is only for server based?

2) Moreover we were forced to move to different plan and we have switched from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 server. I’ve realized that many of the Sales Cart functions are not working due to the relative and virtual paths. I was able to change some of the .asp files manually – is there any control panel where I can change all of it at the same time?

3) I’m experiencing Sales Cart different behavior on PC’s that are having firewalls. For example on my PC Sales Cart is not working when I have Zone Alarm on. I’m getting this message using “Add to cart” button.

Server.MapPath() error 'ASP 0171 : 80004005'
Missing Path
/cgi-bin/checkpost.asp, line 20
The Path parameter must be specified for the MapPath method.

Is this a normal for Sales Cart to not work with firewall enabled?!

4) Are there any upgrades for Sales Cart Pro v3.0 As I see it was build in 2001?! And I can’t locate any files available for upgrades?

I would really appreciate any of your suggestions and do hope that someone will point me in the right direction.

Thank you.
Jason
jasontate2004@yahoo.com
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/05 at 5:00am
Jason,

The current version of PRO is version 5. If you are using V3 with up to date server software then you might have issues- the upgrade cost id not too bad.

IIS- OK I have this installed but to be honest I've always found it a PIG to work with!!!

Salescart will not work unless it is published to a server with correct permissions installed- the backup of your site is what you have created in frontpage- it's a workable site but it's not been published to a server hence the salescart elements don't run.

If you are running a test using IIS on your own machine you MUST disable any anti virus software you have installed- if you don't the anti viral software blocks the operation of salescart hence the error messages.

Another option is to use an online server from your ISP which you use for testing- this way you don't have to alter your own PC's settings.

Frontpage V5 is the only one which works with Fpage2003.

Hope this info helps.
Techno Geek View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evil monkey living in my closet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techno Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/05 at 9:24am
Quote If you are running a test using IIS on your own machine you MUST disable any anti virus software you have installed- if you don't the anti viral software blocks the operation of salescart hence the error messages.

Just the script blocking portion of the anti-virus, not the auto-protection.
Techno Geek
Customer Support Engineer
ComCity and SalesCart Technical Support
jason2004 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/05 at 5:20pm
Are you saying that v 3.0 is obsolete?

Is there any setting where I can change to use virtual paths rather then relative paths since now we are on Windows 2003 server?

Why is cart not working with firewall enabled?
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/05 at 9:57am
Virtual v Relative?

Only two ways I know of doing product links in either static using the dialog screen or to a products database.

What exactly have you done to the site since it last worked?

V3 isn't obssolete- you are running Fpage 2002 so this version of scart is fine?> you only need 5 if you are working with Fpage2003- I have both versions of Fpage and both V3 and 5 of salescart.

Where is the firewall? Your machine? Do you have the site on your own IIS server which you control?
jason2004 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/05 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Andy Andy wrote:

Virtual v Relative?

Only two ways I know of doing product links in either static using the dialog screen or to a products database.

What exactly have you done to the site since it last worked?

V3 isn't obssolete- you are running Fpage 2002 so this version of scart is fine?> you only need 5 if you are working with Fpage2003- I have both versions of Fpage and both V3 and 5 of salescart.

Where is the firewall? Your machine? Do you have the site on your own IIS server which you control?

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your reply. We used to be on Windows 2000 Server. Now we are on Windows 2003 Server. I’ve been told by the host technicians that I need to change relative pats to virtual in order for shopping cart to work.

“If your Web site is using relative paths in Include statements with ASP, you will need to use virtual paths instead (for example, <!-- #include virtual="/includes/file.asp" --> instead of <!--#include file="../includes/file.asp"--> ).”

Do I have to this manually for every shopping cart .asp file or it can be done automatically?

Thank you,
Jason
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/05 at 10:18am
Jason,

Sounds like a load of old cobblers to me. My host recently updated to windows server2003- I didn't have to change anything to keep the cart working- I did have to re-publish to the server cos the whole server got wiped but that's another issue all together :)

Who are you hosted with and what reasons are they giving for this?

I aint a techy- Mr Sani's your man on that one. What I did find is that a lot of server providers can't be ar$ed to give proper tech support and fob you off with lame excuses- hoping you don't know enough to see through the porkies.

What I do know from experience is that Frontpage 2003 does not work properly with V3 of salescart. I upgraded to V5 on one machine which has Fpage03 and I still run V3 on my machine with Fpage02 on it. It might well be worth upgrading to Version 5 of salescart and while you are at it going to FPage 2003. Keeping up with software changes is just one of those things and I'm forever keeping up to date with what I have in terms of software. Maybe V5 of salescart was developed specifically to meet the changes brought about by the new windows server- I don't really know.

I am fully expecting to have to upgrade again to salescart.net at some point. Dot Net will superceed what's currently the standard and if I want to do ecommerce sites I'll have to buy it.

When you consider that A) web design firms want big money for ecommerce B)salescart is yours and you build as many sites as you like and C)you pay the upgrade price not full retail it does make sense.

Failing that dump your current ISP and get a new one- there are loads out there- you could even try comcity who have a good hosting deal- I have one salescart site hosted with them- it makes sense if you want your ecommerce site to run tip top as comcity own salescart.

Sorry I'm not much help
Cheers
Andy
Techno Geek View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evil monkey living in my closet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techno Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/05 at 10:34am
I agree with Andy :) Web hosting is easy to come by, if the first guy can't help you out, then I'm sure the next 2000 guys will.

The nice thing about the hosting market is that it is saturated with a load of companies willing to earn your business.

Quote Is this a normal for Sales Cart to not work with firewall enabled?!

Yes, if you have your firewall settings are aggressive. But do you use a firewall hardware or software? Software just doesn't work the same way as hardware and tends to create false-positives. I have a firewall built-in to my router at home but I can still browse the SalesCart sites. I've seen customers with firewall software browse on SalesCart sites so it is possible.
Techno Geek
Customer Support Engineer
ComCity and SalesCart Technical Support
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic