Forum Home Forum Home > Legacy Products > SalesCart Standard / PRO / SQL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcan’t set fpdb permissions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: can’t set fpdb permissions
    Posted: August/18/05 at 9:23pm
Windows 2003 Professional OS, FrontPage 2003, using the FrontPage version of SalesCart Pro (Rev 5). I went through the steps in the manual to create a new website. I've got the site open in FrontPage. In the folder list, when I right-click on the fpdb folder, all the properties are gayed out, and it looks like none of them are checked. Comparing to the manual, it looks like I'm missing something. My only choice (if it wasn't grayed out) is "Allow scripts or programs to be run". In the manual the options are "Allow programs to be run", "Allow scripts to be run" [checked], "Allow files to be browsed" [checked].

I have a bad feeling that I'm supposed to have MS Access installed for some reason. Is that the issue or is there something else? Access is listed as optional, so I would assume that the wizard would set the permissions correctly on creation.

Thanks.
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/05 at 3:08am
I have the exact same setup- fpage 2003 and Scart V5.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do? The permissions issue will should only be relevant when you have published the site- when you are building it in Fpage permissions should not come into it.

You don't need Access installed unless you are going to create a dynamic site which is linked to a custom Access DB which you build yourself. For the static page version Access isn't needed- I don't have it myself.

In Fpage it should be just a case of New> website package> Salecart web> through the setup dialogue from Salescart and bingo bango a blank site is ready to build- all the parts you need- ie CGI BIN folder, Mall, FPDB and the asa files are created for you.

The FPDB folder does need read write permissions but these are set when you publish- you CAN'T test a salescart web on your own machine unless you publish it to your own PC. To do this you need to be running XP PRO and install ISS as an extra component through the add/ remove program dialogue in XP- ISS services are not installed automatically when you load up XP on your machine.

My advice would be to build the site and publish it on your server and then do the snagging list and tweaks.

Cheers
Andy
rcconsulting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/05 at 8:19am
I'm publishing to a hosting service, and the problem I'm encountering is when I click the Add to Cart button, I get the message that there is nothing in my cart. This is after having deleted the "fake" product link and adding a new one, trying to follow the directions in the manual (which I think could be written much clearer). I'm having this problem repeatedly; I have deleted and recreated this basic website about 6 times now.

I've got to set this up for a catalog of products, and I'm even having trouble figuring out how to set that up. Any help would be great. Thanks!
phbrowne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phbrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/05 at 9:08am
This might be too simple but here goes...

...if you click on the FPDB name instead of the little icon of the folder, they appeared greyed out. If your site is published, open the server site on your local machine (file/open web/www.yourwebname.com) then you should be able to click on the icon and set the properties.
Techno Geek View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evil monkey living in my closet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techno Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/05 at 9:18am
Nope. MS Access is not required to run your cart. Keep in mind that if you're not on an actual web server some of the options, features, functions may not work on your machine.

In your case, if you're on your computer trying to change the folder permissions (with FrontPage), then you won't be able to. Not unless if you're running under IIS (http://localhost).

PS. Did you mean Windows XP Professional?
Techno Geek
Customer Support Engineer
ComCity and SalesCart Technical Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/05 at 10:52am
Home machine is 2000 Professional. I don't have it set up with IIS. I don't have the access level to the hosting service to change permissions on anything, I hope that's not needed.

Any solutions to this? The problem I'm encountering is when I click the Add to Cart button, I get the message that there is nothing in my cart. This is after having deleted the "fake" product link and adding a new one, trying to follow the directions in the manual (which I think could be written much clearer). I'm having this problem repeatedly; I have deleted and recreated this basic website about 6 times now.

Thanks!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techno Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/05 at 11:58am
Okay, there are two things that may cause this issue:

1. Connection string to the database is not setup correctly
  2. The FPDB directory does not have the correct NTFS permissions

If it is the second option, then you have to get your host to change the NTFS permission for the IUSR to "READ/WRITE". Without your database can't be updated and your ASP files won't be able to write to the database.

Most hosting companies will do this for you as long as you ask them
Techno Geek

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcconsulting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/05 at 12:41pm
I think this might have been what I was talking about earlier, I remember right-clicking for Properties on the folder itself at some point. I saw this referenced elsewhere...what is IUSR?

Originally posted by Techno Geek Techno Geek wrote:

Okay, there are two things that may cause this issue:

1. Connection string to the database is not setup correctly
  2. The FPDB directory does not have the correct NTFS permissions

If it is the second option, then you have to get your host to change the NTFS permission for the IUSR to "READ/WRITE". Without your database can't be updated and your ASP files won't be able to write to the database.

Most hosting companies will do this for you as long as you ask them
jkc101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkc101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/05 at 2:51pm
IUSR Internet User Account.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techno Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/05 at 12:16pm
Anonymous access, the most common web site access control method, allows anyone to visit the public areas of a web site while preventing unauthorized users from gaining access to a web server's critical administrative features and private information. Anonymous authentication gives users access to a website without prompting them for a user name or password. When a user attempts to connect to a public web site, the web server assigns the user to the Windows user account called IUSR_computername, where computername is the name of the server on which IIS is running.

By default, the IUSR_computername account is included in the Windows user group Guests when IIS is installed on the server. This group has security restrictions, imposed by NTFS permissions, that designate the level of access and the type of content available to public internet users. Changes can be made to the account used for Anonymous authentication in the Internet Service Manager at the web server level or for individual virtual directories and files. Security privileges for the IUSR_computername account can be changed with User Manager for Windows NT, and Local Users and Groups in the Computer Management console for Windows 2000.

1. The IUSR_computername account is added to the Guests group on the computer.
  2. When a page request is received, IIS will imitate the IUSR_computername account before executing any code or accessing any files. IIS is able to imitate the IUSR_computername account because the user name and password for this account are known by IIS.
  3. Before returning a page to the browser, IIS checks NTFS file and directory permissions to see if the IUSR_computername account is allowed access to the file.
  4. If access is allowed, authentication completes and the resources are made available to the user.
  5. If access is not allowed, IIS will attempt to use another authentication method. If none is selected, IIS returns an "HTTP 403 Access Denied" error message to the browser.

Hope this helps.
Techno Geek
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic