Forum Home Forum Home > Legacy Products > SalesCart Standard / PRO / SQL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhich Version Should i Purchase?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dccreatives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Version Should i Purchase?
    Posted: March/14/05 at 11:05am
Hi,

I'm looking into the product and I am not sure of the real difference between the PRO version and the SQL version other than the type of database (access or SQL) that it runs.

Can someone guide me as far as which version of the software I should purchase and why I would want either one?

Thanks!

Edited by dccreatives
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/05 at 7:39am
Hi,

It depends what you wanna do and how many vistors you are expecting.

The PRO version uses an access database- if you build a dynamic database site in PRO you will be using access as your database software. Hooking up Access databases to work with salescart PRO is a piece of pudding and you won't have much trouble.

As I understand things the SQL version is more suitable for really big sites or sites where there are going to be multiple users trying to shop at the same time- SQL is more stable and allows for a higher number of users. I think the limit for Access connections is a maximum of 25 users at any one time?! (I might be wrong on this one)

I went for the PRO version as I've already got Access bundled in with MSOffice and I know the basics of creating Access databases.

I've not come across any problems using the Access/ PRO setup. It's probably a good idea to ask Will about this- if you explain what you wanna do I'm sure he will give you the right advice

Cheers
dccreatives View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dccreatives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/05 at 4:37pm
With that advice I'm going ahead with the SQL version. I don't want any issues with multiple users having problems browsing the site.

Thanks for your help.
Selahbooks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Selahbooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/05 at 10:24am
I would suggest going with the .NET version. Although it is a couple of hundred dollars more than the SQL version, you have more options. Not only do you get all the plugins, you also have the option of using an Access or SQL database. I am currently using the product with Access, but as my site grows I will update to SQL. I have been using SalesCart for about 5 years and upgraded from SalesCart Pro V5 to the .NET version. So far I am very happy with the way the product performs.
Techno Geek View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evil monkey living in my closet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techno Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/05 at 5:02pm
I know my opinion is biased but I would too recommend the NET version. ASP is slowly going to be phased out and it has it's own quirks. If you compare the ASP and ASP .NET performance it's going to be significant and it has less foot prints on the server end. Plus .NET is the "next big thing" so might as well jump on the band-wagon :)
Techno Geek
Customer Support Engineer
ComCity and SalesCart Technical Support
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic