Forum Home Forum Home > Legacy Products > SalesCart Standard / PRO / SQL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPWS & IIS discrepency

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PWS & IIS discrepency
    Posted: March/20/04 at 4:40am
Sorry about that last post, I got my header wrong. I'm seeing a discrepency in technical documentation & wish an explaination. In my current SQL Ref Manual on page 35 it states that "By Default, we suggest that you DO NOT install a local web server unless its already installed & operating coprrectly". It goes on to say... "Create your web site & publish to server to view it in operation." However Tech Support Article #006 states on page 4 "You can operate FP in 2 different modes, Web Based & Server Based. Web Based webs are in essence (dumb webs). They don't use a server & many functions of FrontPage will not work. Many users don't know this & because FP defaults to Web based are unaware of this distinction. This is unfortunate because the advantages of FP to them are never exposed.". I understand that without server based mode running you cannot view .asp pages & are stuck in Flat Mode. Now, if there are so many advantages to running under server based mode, Why in Sam Hill does the New Reference Manual say to run under Web-Based mode & wouldn't it be very inconvienent to have to publish to your server every time you wanted to view your changes? So how come the new manual says not to run under server mode?
Techno Geek View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evil monkey living in my closet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Techno Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/04 at 9:52am
This is because most "end-users" will not know how to operate the server let alone install it. Installing a web server on a "desktop" is like opening a can of worms :) It'll basically expose the computer to many exploits and hacks. In fact I know a customer that was hacked by not patching up his IIS...

If you don't have IIS installed, it doesn't mean you lose the FrontPage functionalities. The only thing that you won't be able to do is execute your ASP pages. You can still create Themes, borders, style sheets and FrontPage sub-webs in a disk based mode. IIS is basically there so serve the executable pages.

The other reason we say this is because in the past we ended up supporting customers with their servers and since IIS is a Microsoft product we felt that our support was basically being strained because of this.

If you know enough on how to run a web server, then by all means go ahead and install it. If you do not, then don't install it because that's just another thing you'll need to learn :)

Edited by Will Sani
Techno Geek
Customer Support Engineer
ComCity and SalesCart Technical Support
Big Bear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/04 at 11:24pm
Thanks for your candor.
I will need to think if it is worth the risk or not (hacks).

Big Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic